[ale] OT: Haven't seen this in a while, but it always makesme chuckle...

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Tue Oct 15 15:21:31 EDT 2002

Reminds me of a good story.  Years ago, I was on a team responsible for
a time reporting system.  As this type of system contains sensitive
data, we added an idle timeout to all the services.  6 months or so
later, We've got a customer calling complaining the system is slow.  Low
story short, one of OUR support folks told one of the supervisors that
they could alleviate the need to continously log back in by placing a
stapler or some such device on the space bar of the keyboard.  Well word
got around and there were apparently many a stapler riding high upon the
space bar of many a keyboard.  This was in a manufacturing facility,
100's of supervisors.

Anyway, we ended up adding code that would watch for the same character
over and over again, and time out if we detected as such...

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net