[ale] Known SSH exploits?

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Mon Oct 14 08:58:28 EDT 2002

Compared to the other alternatives, of which there is effectively none,
ssh is very secure. The beauty of open source is that people can access
the code and bang on it.

During this process, holes are found. Recently, several holes were found
and very quickly fixed.

There are 2 versions of ssh. v1 and v2. Avoid v1 for sensitive
application. v2 is understood very well and supplanted v1 due to v1's
limitations.

A properly setup ssh v2 communications arena (system keys, user keys,
etc) will provide an environment that is secure enough for everything
but the highest levels of NSA spookware. If the systems are required to
have keys pre-installed before any connection is allowed (no "do you
want to accept this key with fingerprint...") then the systems will all
be known and that state of known will have required "proper access".

Even Microsoft's security (no laughing please) relies on the protocols
of ssh. They are well known algorithms. However, to my knowledge at this
time, M$ has yet to fix the known holes in their VPN system. Which is
the main other alternative to SSH. Since M$ also uses the algorithms
used in openssl, and has yet to patch the same handshaking protocol
error and openssl, M$ IIS is (surprise) vulnerable to the same type of
attack at the slapper worm. To my understanding, the same algorithm is
used in their VPN. Which makes trusting a M$ VPN client connection to a
secure network very, very difficult.

So as I see it, the choices are SSH V2, or run naked. (Not to disparage
any nudists on the list...) There is no other alternative that is
currently known good.