[ale] Which Decent Redhat

cfowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Tue Oct 8 10:50:16 EDT 2002

This may sound crazy but my development environments are 7.2.  But I run
the lates and greatest RH on all my workstations.  I have a /u01/RH7.2
directory on each one with a simple RH 7.2. environment.  Whenever I
code I just do chroot /u01/.RH7.2 bin/bash and I'm in that environment.

The benefit is that I can have dirty and clean environments and do major
testing.  Sure it adds a lot of space but what else am I going to do
with 40GB's ?

I have a CD wht a rh7.2 tree that is tarred and gziped.  If I ever want
to add the enviro to a new machine I do this:

mount /dev/cdrom /cdrom
cd /home/user
mkdir devel
cd devel
tar -xzvfps /cdrom/rh7.2.tgz
umount /cdrom
chroot . bin/sh
su - user

Now I'm in the users home directory.  Sudo works great for this
environment.  And make sure when you are in there you do a mount -t proc
none /proc

Chris