[ale] decomposing cds- continued

John Mills jmmills at telocity.com
Mon Oct 7 14:31:15 EDT 2002

Stephen -

On Mon, 7 Oct 2002, Keith R. Watson wrote:

> At 13:11 10/3/2002 -0700, Stephen Turner wrote:
> >well at this time i can "look inside" or open an iso under nero burning
> >rom however, the tricky part im gonna have is getting those blasted
> >tar.bz2 files open!! which is the case for some items not all tho... i was
> >really hopeing cygwin would be the answer but i looked through the site
> >and couldnt find where to dl certain apps alone, seems to be the dll only?
> >damn, wheres tar -xyz ability when you want it most!

To see how the *.tar will unpack, and keep the packed version - conserves
space:

$ bunzip2 -kc <bzip2_file> | tar tf -

To actually unpack the mucker:

$ bunzip2 -kc <bzip2_file> | tar xvf -

> Get bzip2 at:
> http://sources.redhat.com/bzip2/

You may already have this in your 'cygwin' installation - it is available
and I thought it was installed by default. You can certainly build it from
sources, but I guess I would download and install it into my 'cygwin'
directory from any 'cygwin' mirror.

 - John Mills