[ale] Looking for video board

Jim Lynch jwl at sgi.com
Wed Oct 2 07:44:19 EDT 2002

I recently upgraded my system by putting a 1.8 ghz AMD  cpu in a new MB
with raid support.  (I don't yet have the resources to implement the
raid)

Anyway, it didn't want to work so I took it to the shop I purchased the
mb and cpu from and he said "your video card is too old".  Sheesh.  He
stuck another card in and it came up.  I couldn't even get it to boot.
It just sat there and beeped at me.  He configured the bios, plugged my
card back in and it worked, however I guess it is time to upgrade.  I'm
not very heavy into graphics and find this old S3 Virge 4mb does just
fine, but it isn't very close to state of the art any longer.  Just so
I've got something the mb is happier with, can someone recommend a newer
video card?  I'd prefer something cheap, since I don't really care about
graphics performance/capability, etc.  A cheap generic that works with
XFree 86 would be fine.  I'm just afraid that something might happen and
the card wouldn't work again.

I'd just pick up most anything, except it's been my experience that
XFree doesn't work with just anything.  So what's out there that works
with Linux and won't break the bank?  Sure I can go look at the docs and
find supported cards, but that isn't nearly as good as advice from
experienced users.

Thanks,
Jim.