[ale] booting?, & can I throw any old bulb into my backlight

Rafos701 at aol.com Rafos701 at aol.com
Tue Oct 1 17:02:46 EDT 2002

My name is Glenn Foster, and I have a red screen. I have been looking, both
at sources for replacement, and into the hardware. Is the advisory I've read
on the inverter output true, (that inverter voltage levels are dangerous,)
and more importantly, are those nifty case lights (with lenses in many
colors) for people wanting to avoid abstractions picky about being spliced
and wedged into my laptop's display?
More Linux-specific, The boot (a evaluation RH 6.1 kit from last installfest)
gets as far as "OK, uncompressing the kernel. (maybe it says booting the
kernel, but it's the uncompressing part which is usually heralded with,
"...................." ) Booting with an SuSE syslinux floppy to the "boot
installed system" gets a motionless lit cursor instead of an underscore. I
change fstab from "label" to "/dev/hdx." I think PQMagic has been dicking
with the drive.