[ale] Problems upgrading to RH 8.0

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Tue Oct 1 08:50:01 EDT 2002

I upgraded my system to 8.0 this morning and everything seemed to go
smoothly.  However, on reboot, the kernel wasn't found.  Booted up using
"linux rescue" functionality and the kernel was not installed. I suspect
it had a hard time with this because I have a custom win4lin kernel
installed.

Anyway, I was going to try to use the "linux rescue" shell to either
install the kernel or to back up my critical data, but much of what I try
to do (including the critical "chroot /mnt/sysimage"), gives the following
error:

-/bin/sh-2.05b# chroot /mnt/sysimage
/bin/sh: /lib/i686/libc.so.6: version 'GLIBC_2.3' not found (required by
/lib/libdl.so.2).

Am I screwed?  Do these utilities use LD_LIBRARY_PATH to search for glibc?
 My first instinct was to run strings on the various flavors of libc.so.6
on the filesystem and try to find the one that supports 2.3 and add it to
my LD_LIBRARY_PATH, but strings gives the above error (lol).

Is there anything I can do to at least transfer my data?

Thanks guys.

John