[ale] Playing DVD on higher kernel?

Michael D. Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Wed Nov 27 14:29:01 EST 2002

On Wednesday 27 November 2002 07:03 am, Geoffrey wrote:
> Someone else on the list just reported a similar issue.  Has anyone
> gotten a resolution??
>
> ChangingLINKS.com wrote:
> > I installed RedHat 8.0 and then installed ogle DVD player. The player
> > pauses about every 10 seconds. I blamed RedHat 8.0 knowing that my 7.2
> > install could play DVD using the same ogle files.
> >
> > I updated 7.2 with redcarpet and the update agent, and it seemed to
> > get cruddy and unstable. I re-installed 7.2 and used the update agent
> > and red-carpet. I updated the kernel to 2.4.18-7.7.x (or something
> > like that).
> >
> > When I installed ogle on the upgraded 7.2 (with the higher kernel) it
> > had the same pausing problem that RedHat 8.0 had. I have done just
> > enough testing to conclude that it is not a hardware problem.
> >
> > Is anyone playing DVD with 2.4.18+ ?
> > Can you send the URL for the program that will play DVD on 2.4.18+?

When I was at Zap one of our developers had a similar problem when he
upgraded beyond 2.4.7, I think.  But we as a company had no trouble with
2.4.18, in fact, that is what we eneded up shipping with.  DVD playback
worked well for us.

My guess is that xine and/or ogle is doing something that doesn't play well
with the new memory management system, but our dvd player (lindvd from
Intervideo) didn't do this.

--Michael