[ale] Bizarre sound problem... anyone know?

Danny Cox danscox at mindspring.com
Tue Nov 26 11:32:01 EST 2002

Ken,

On Tue, 2002-11-26 at 01:53, Ken Arromdee wrote:
> The problem is: When I play a DVD with Xine (and Alsa 0.9), I get wobbly
> sound.  The sound card is a Shark Predator ISA.  Kernel is 2.4.19-16mdk.
>
> Some details:
> -- The problem happens only when sound plays while the DVD drive's light is
> on.  If I replay a section of a DVD that was just played, there is no sound
> problem because the data is cached and not being read from the drive.

	Try the -u setting to hdparm and all your drives.  By default, the IDE
driver masks ALL interrupts when it's messing with it's own.  Turning on
-u (hdparm -u1 /dev/hda) will unmask the other interrupts, and allow
them through.

	I've heard of cases in the not-so-distant past where the modem would
hang up during heavy disk I/O, thereby losing your internet connection.
This is also sometimes the cause of making coasters in the burner.

	HTH!

--
Danny Cox <danscox at mindspring.com>
No Organization at ALL