[ale] OT another Java question

Denny Chambers bugfix4u2 at bellsouth.net
Tue Nov 26 10:17:57 EST 2002

To find this add method, look in java.awt.Container.add(String,
Component). However I would not use this method. Even the Java docs
recommend not using this. If you want to use this type of layout, then
try something like this:

MyPanel p1;

p1 = new MyPanel(10,3,rowHeading, colHeading);
p1.setBounds(new Rectangle(3,270,388,320));
this.add(p1);
initNewPanel(p1);

// adds a text field
FieldA.setBounds(new Rectangle(145,40.120,30));
p1.add(FieldA);

This may work better for you. I have to warn you though, this type of
layout does not resize very well at all. As far as the layout goes, you
should really look at the GridBagLayout as you layout manager. It is the
most flexible of the layout managers, however it is also one of the more
complex. Done properly, is looks very professional, and can resize much
better than the other layout managers.

HTH,
Denny