[ale] OT: MiniDV camera -> DVD

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Mon Nov 25 09:54:12 EST 2002

cfowler wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm getting ready to purchase the Canon ZR45MC at BestBuy.  It is a
> MiniDV camcorder with Firewire DV out.
>
> Anyone with any FirewireDV out please help me.  My intention is to go
> from tape to DVD in the future.  Unitl I get a DVD writer,  I'll store
> all the videos on disk in MPEG format.  But what do I need to do all
> this.  My wife's PC is Windows XP so we'll do it all on that.

Then you posted to the wrong list.. :)  I don't know anything about
firewireDV, is that any different then 'plain old firewire?'

> Linux will be used to store the video.

You can do all you want to do on Linux, but I'm not sure what part it is
you plan to do on Linux.  Noting you said you will store the files on
Linux, are you planning to pull the stuff in on the XP box and then move
it over to the Linux box, or are you planning to pull the stuff from the
camera directly to the Linux box?  There is support for firewire stuff
for Linux, but you'd best subscribe to that list to get further info.  I
plan to do similar from my Sony cam to my Linux box.  I know it's
supported on the firewire side, I just need to get the dvd burner. :(
Initially, I'll probably burn them to cd, but I was having problems with
the conversion from video to mpeg on my Linux box.  It's on my todo list.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net