[ale] Corporate taxes...

James S. Cochrane cochrane at mindspring.com
Wed Nov 13 20:28:34 EST 2002

At 12:21 PM 11/13/02 -0500, F. Grant Robertson wrote:
>The welfare of our future generations is entirely dependant upon the
>debt load we leave them, and the preservation of our constitution.
>
>And as for your argument on buying luxury cars.. I happen to own a BMW,
>so, good choice.  I'm all for federal funding of education, I think it's
>possibly the only thing our founding fathers overlooked, and had they
>actually ventured into the issue, I think it's apparent that their
>solution would have been very different than our current one. This is
>precisely why I support the dissolution of the department of education,
>and the institution of school choice through educational credits and
>vouchers.  Only through the reinstitution of competition in our
>educational system will we ever be able to compete and win on a global
>scale. As it stands, the legislative branch of government are in
>ultimate control of what we are taught. I think you should be able to
>realize that absolute power corrupts absolutely and, to that end our
>government is doing an inadequate job of eduacating our population. You
>yourself said you do not have the grasp of economic science needed to
>debate my points, and this is a perfect example. civics, economics, and
>history are all being removed from the education of our children, who
>are also our next crop of voters. Without a proper understadning of the
>forces they control how are they ever to be expected to make the proper
>choices as an electorate and therfore provide the guidance for our
>continued success?

Actually, I would argue that government (particularly Federal government)
involvement in public education was properly left OUT of the
Constitution.  With government schools you have government bureaucrats and
politicians involved in how schools are run and what children are taught,
including the current trend of teaching the political and economic
viewpoints of those who are in power.  Which is why you see certain
activist groups actively encouraging their members to enter the teaching
profession so they can influence future voters at an early age.  The actual
information content of textbooks is going down, and those who graduate from
high school today have a MUCH lower standard of education than those who
graduated in 1850.  Look at the quality of the letters home from soldiers
during the War of Northern Aggression and compare those to papers written
by current high school (hell, some college) graduates.  There's a REASON
homeschooled kids are doing much better than those in public schools, and
it's evident as early as 1st grade.  I was one of many kids who got through
high school in spite of the system, not due to it.  And I got my rear end
kicked at Tech as a result, but I managed to get through Tech as well.  But
not in my original major, and not with a stellar GPA.

James