[ale] Corporate taxes...

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Wed Nov 13 10:42:47 EST 2002

On Wed, 2002-11-13 at 10:01, Brian J. Dowd wrote:
> Ok...my blood has finally reached the boiling point...
>
> > The only thing you left out was to close the tax loopholes
>
> Since all tax "loopholes" are congressional laws initiated by the House
> and passed by both
> the House and the Senate. And since both houses have been almost totally
> under the control of Demorats for the past 48 years...What, exactly, is
> your thesis?
The process of paying taxes requires money. It has always seemed to me
that since corporations are an artificial entity whose existence is
solely for the accumulation of money, they should be required to chip in
as I am required to chip in. I have always viewed taxes as the means for
funding the processes we, as a collective people, want to see done.

I place the blame on the current loopholes that allowed GE to earn
billions and pay $0 tax squarely on the greed of the people that make
the rules and the greed of the people that asked for the rules to be
made.

> > that allow
> > corporation to earn billions and pay no taxes. GE, Enron, and several
> > others have managed to avoid paying taxes on the billions they earned in
> > profits
>
> Corporations are figments of lawyers' imaginations and corporate taxes
> are figments of liberals' dreams. Corporations are totally owned by
> shareholders, ie: *people*, who then wind up paying the taxes on any
> imputed profits. Any tax actually paid by corporations merely serves to
> raise the production costs of its goods so that all  its customers wind
> up paying this hidden tax when they buy its products.
>
> If you really want to learn about (not just argue about) the
> ramifications of "corporate taxes" please give http://www.fairtax.org a
> few minutes of your time after you calm down.

I have read much from that site before. And I still believe very
strongly that an entity whose only reason for existence is the financial
conquest of a market should be part of the funding process for the goods
and services that the government attempts to provide to the entire
population. As I see it, much of the current system of rules and
policies and processes exist to benefit that direct class of artificial
people. So, since they do have pockets lined with gold, why should they
not financially support the system that allows them to thrive here
better than anywhere else in the world.

> > while our schools were cramming 35 kids into a trailer called a
> > classroom in front of a single teacher who is supposed to train these
> > kids to become good employees of these companies.
> >
> I'd seriously like to see your references to studies which correlate
> class size or classroom construction methods to SAT scores or some other
> measure of students' depth of knowledge. I will read your info after I
> calm down. ;-)

I teach, for one source of data. The direct evidence is getting harder
to come by as a layman. But some plugging on the web shows that the
schools with smaller class sizes will, on average, have better
performing students than schools with larger class sizes.

It really is all about investment. Some areas of the country are willing
to invest more into their schools than others. The immediate payback is
bragging rights based on test scores. The long term payback is a better
educated population with higher lifetime earning potential to fill the
coffers of government with their tax money.

The reference to trailers is not a slap on building style. It is an
attack on the poor planning and budgetary woes of many school systems.

It is well known in the education profession that the closer a class can
get to the one-on-one mentor/student scenario found in graduate school,
the higher the learning rate becomes. As society moves towards using
more technology, the total amount of knowledge needed by an individual
to be an active participant in this society is increasing.

So we have class sizes mandated by non-teachers in Georgia to be 32
students to one teacher maximum. This number has been chosen as the best
trade-off between teaching paradigms and budgetary concerns.

I am still looking for a full-time job. But not in Georgia. Or anywhere
in the south, for that matter.

<jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>

 This is a digitally signed message part