[ale] On-Topic: WTF did they do to modules???

Robert L. Harris Robert.L.Harris at rdlg.net
Wed Nov 13 10:41:26 EST 2002

/hijack political thread
Ok, back to my screwy semi-debian systems for a couple mins.

  Ok, still working with lm-sensors and beat a few more things into shape.
I finally got a good compile of both the kernel+i2c and lm-sensors (i2c
was missing some modules that are in the lm-sensors source, but not in
the debian package).

  depmod -av is reporting nothing, when I do a "modprobe i2c-proc",
"modprobe i2c-proc.o", "insmod i2c-proc", "insmod i2c-proc.o" nothing.
However "insmod /lib/modules/2.4.18/kernel/drivers/i2c/i2c-proc.o" loads
just fine.  Executing "/etc/init.d/modutils" pops up that it can't
locate modules as well.

  The depmod man pages says to put the modules in "/etc/modutils.conf"
and a bit of back-digging leads me to /etc/modules/paths where I insert:

path=/lib/modules/2.4.18/kernel/drivers/i2c

then execute "update-modules".  A depmod -av now shows my modules listed
out.  A "modprobe <module>" still leaves me with a can't locate.

Thoughts?
  Robert

P.S. Sorry for the long windedness but I'm trying to include all the
details that may be relevant.

:wq!
Robert L. Harris                     | PGP Key ID: FC96D405

DISCLAIMER:
FYI: