[ale] Bangalore Bill

Irv Mullins irvm at ellijay.com
Wed Nov 13 09:24:11 EST 2002

On Tuesday 12 November 2002 07:55 pm, F.G.R. wrote:
> It is quite possible that a software market just as large as the US will
> develop within India's own borders in the next decade. The US may very
> well fall into a position of follower rather than leader within this
> same time period.  This is only further exacerbated by draconian laws
> like the DMCA, and previously our encryption export policy. .....

Well said.

India and China, along with a host of other countries, are perfectly able to
write software that is just as good (or, better) than what is currently
available.

Yes, there will be a growing market for software in India, China, etc.,
but it won't be for US made software. Instead, the US will be buying
software from them. (Until Microsoft makes it illegal to import such things)

Compared to almost any other product, sw has the lowest startup cost and the
potential for the highest return. Let's face facts: if you could drop half a
dozen copies of your software in the mail to the US or EU and earn more than
your neighbor makes in a year, wouldn't you think that was a good business
plan?

As the bottom-feeding patent lawyers and bought-and-paid-for politicians
continue to stifle innovation in the US, we'll see more and more of this work
move offshore. What's next, the music industry?

Regards,
Irv

we're headed back