[ale] OpenOrifice and Gnome

Joseph A Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 12 12:04:16 EST 2002

Hi folks,

Stupid question time again, but at least it's on-topic this time :-)

I'm trying to set up some VNC-based Gnome desktops on one of my
Linux boxen so my kids can get their schoolwork done (research
papers and so forth) without worring about the Redmond crap
crashing at random. (Darcy lost a couple of hours worth of
work yesterday when Win98 froze solid. Yes, she knows to save
frequently, but we all forget on occasion. 16-year-old temper
tantrums induced by Microsoft products are No Fun.) I want
to make the environment look as familiar as possible for them.

I've installed OpenOffice, and it works great except
for one thing: I can't seem to get Gnome's MIME-types set
up properly so that we can open OpenOffice documents
by double-clicking them in the file manager. I can run
"soffice filename.sxw" from the command line and everything
works fine, but if I tell Gnome to use "soffice %f" to open
.sxw files, it says "Can't open filename.sxw using the
soffice %f command". Has anyone made this work? I've
been looking for clues, but haven't come across anything
useful yet.

Also, any opinions about the stability of OpenOffice?

Thanks,

-- Joe