[ale] sorta [OT] IO vs clock cycles

Mike Panetta ahuitzot at mindspring.com
Sat Nov 9 00:37:13 EST 2002

Um, just to correct your post, PCI is 32 Bits and 64Bits, not 16 bits.
It was never 16 bits.  ISA on the other hand is 16Bits.  And I think MCA
is too but I am not sure.

And with PCI its more complex then just how many bytes can you transfer
per bus clock.  First of all PCI multiplexes the address and data
together, so (and I may be incorrect here) the very first transfer on
the PCI bus is the address xfer.  After that you can do up to (I think)
512 data xfers (or whatever a cache line is on your CPU).  IE PCI
supports bursting, and you actually need to use it to get the full
bandwidth out of it.

Mike