[ale] sorta [OT] IO vs clock cycles

Larry Grenevitch lg1450 at bellsouth.net
Fri Nov 8 23:03:51 EST 2002

To reply to the mainframe question.
CPU speed is only one factor.  Several years ago I worked in a shop that sold
both AIX and SCO Unix boxes.  A 2 year old AIX box still beat out the latest
PC with on cache boards etc..  Why, IO, most PC boards are 16 bit with PCI
there is now 64 bit boards, on AIX and I am sure the mainframes you have 512
bit IO boards.  Or to put it another way, when your PC has gotten 16 bits [2
bytes of information] your mainframe transfered 512 bits or 64 bytes of
information.  And it is things like that all through out the system from IO
to memory.  That is why PCs are not really scallable, they just don't have
the base engineering.