[ale] Re: Vote Today - Secret Ballots

Joseph A Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 5 17:59:04 EST 2002

Benjamin Scherrey wrote:
> 11/5/2002 1:32:19 PM, Joseph A Knapka <jknapka at earthlink.net> wrote:
>

>>Not necessarily. In "Applied Cryptography", Bruce Schneier outlines
>>cryptographically secure protocols that prohibit votes from being
>>changed by anyone other than the caster, prohibit ballot-stuffing,
>>ensure that every vote is properly counted exactly once, and possess
>>a number of other useful properties. With such an implementation,
>>it would be impossible for even the programmer who writes the
>>code to alter election results, since any voter can execute
>>a cryptographic challenge against the results to ensure that
>>their vote is correctly counted, and no one without an unreasonably
>>huge amount of computing power would be able to alter the results
>>without being detected.
>>
>>If we're gonna use electronic voting, we ought to do it right.
>>
>>-- Joe
>

> The problem with these techniques is that they don't guarantee anonymity of the vote/voter.

Sure they do. A secure voting protocol can allow a voter
to produce "proof" that he voted any way at all - that is,
if someone tries to coerce a voter into demonstrating that
they voted for some "approved" candidate, the protocol can
be designed in such a way that the voter can produce
that proof no matter how she actually voted.

The *real* problem with existing secure voting schemes is that
they're rather computationally expensive, and they require
cryptographically-strong random IDs to be generated for
every voter. But neither of those problems is insurmountable.

Cheers,

-- Joe