[ale] .NET

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Fri Nov 1 19:55:10 EST 2002

Eric Anderson wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-11-01 at 15:39, Geoffrey wrote:
>
>>What, you thought Microsoft came up with something original?  Hardly.
>>
>>Netscape > IE
>>Java > activeX
>>Javascript > vbscript
>

> I believe the line goes "there is nothing new under the sun".
>
> What is new these days? Do we really want something new and radically
> different? I don't. I want to take what is already known to be good and
> improve it. That way I have some reasonable expectation that it will be
> somewhat successful. Taking your example:
>
> Mosiac > Netscape

Mosaic truly was new so there's one example for you.  My reference to
Netscape was that it took the explosion of Netscape for Microsoft to see
it as a marketing tool.

> Smalltalk/C++ > Java

Java may well be OO as Smalltalk and C++, but byte code approach to Java
is new, unless you know of something else that predates that.

> Emacs Lisp (or any small scripting language embedded in a app) >
> Javascript

Again, slap your emacs lisp into a browser.  Man, you've had too much
coffee.

> There is nothing new out there. If you think you know of some technology
> that is new just post it to the list. I'm sure someone can tell you what
> previous idea it is based on.

Note the references above and chill dude.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net