[ale] Hard Drive Froze

John LaPierre jjlapierre at knology.net
Fri May 31 23:45:01 EDT 2002

1. I assume all cables are good because you checked them.

2. Could be it just died, and the web page was a coincidence, but what
was the page you were on.

3. Pop the errant hdd into your other box (the one with Linux) and see
if it powers up there, and if it can be detected by the bios. (If not,
skip to step 9)

4. Boot into Linux and mount the drive.

5. If you do step 3 & 4 on a Windows box, be doggone sure you have the
absolute latest dat's & updates on your anti-virus software.

6. If you can access the drive on PC #2, then at least we have
ascertained that the drive is probably ok, and we need to check it for
virii.

7. With the bad hdd still in the linux box, boot up the PC with a Norton
Anti-virus, or a McAfee AV CD in the drive. Best to use the latest
version, to get the latest dat's. (You can copy an older CD to a
directory on your pc, download the latest dat's, replace the dat's in
your copy with the latest you just DL'd, then burn it all back to your
own cd. If you can't make it bootable, just boot with a Win 95/98 floppy
or cd, then choose boot with CD support, and switch cd's and manually
start the scan. (switch to the root dir on cd and type autoexec at the
prompt, that should work)

8. Now run the virus check. NAV/McAfee will not be able to access your
linux drive, so it should be safe, but you should temporarily unplug it
(them) before the virus check on the bad drive just to be sure. Your
next step would depend on the results of the above.
9. If the drive will not power on, or it cannot be detected by the bios,
it's most likely a bad hdd. Western Digital has a 3 year warranty, they
will replace it, but you have to run their diag tool on it first and
give them the error code. The tool is available on their web site.
wddiags I think.

Good Luck.

JohnL

--
Linux is sexy...
unzip; strip; touch; finger; mount; fsck; login; logout; more; yes;