[ale] reverse engineering USB ?

Danny Cox danscox at mindspring.com
Tue May 28 08:36:27 EDT 2002

Christopher,

On Fri, 2002-05-24 at 13:20, Christopher Bergeron wrote:
> Can anyone point me to some useful tools for linux that will let me reverse
> engineer my Griffin PowerMate
> (http://www.griffintechnology.com/audio/pwrmate.html) or my Sony eMarker?
> Both are USB and I'd really like to hack them to work with linux.
> Shockingly, usb.org is a Windows-centric site (which I find quite ironic
> based on USB's universal spec).  Anyway, I'm new to USB and I'd like to
> figure out what makes these puppies tick.
>
> Any pointers or useful info are greatly appreciated...!

	Lame pointer: I remember reading about a windoze proggy that would
sniff the USB traffic in the manner of ethereal.  However, I can't
remember the name of it.  Sorry.  I do know that many USB hackers used
it extensivly to reverse engineer a great many USB devices.

	Greg KH (Kroah-Hartman) is the USB maintainer.  He could probably point
you to the Win USB sniffer.  His email is: greg at kroah.com.

	Good luck!

Danny