[ale] ethernet problems

tuxismyhero-grimmke at directvinternt.com tuxismyhero-grimmke at directvinternt.com
Mon May 27 10:49:44 EDT 2002

Hi everybody-

Happy memorial day.

I am having some problems with my dsl and any help
would be appreciated.

My box can not seem to resolve addresses beyond my dsl
gateway.  I can ping the gateway and open the gateway
"page" which shows me all my addresses and indicates
that the connection is up.

I had a connection yesterday morning.  However, the
power went out and when it came back I could not
resolve the outside world.

The only thing I can think of that messed with ethernet
is that I had installed pmfirewall on saturday while
trying to get my internal lan to work (more on that in
another email when I get dsl back and don't have to use
dialup).

I uninstalled the firewall (with the intention of using
the settings built into the distribution), still no go.

The distro I am running is Redhat 7.3.  I have directv
dsl, which is plain old ethernet between the gateway
and computer, static ip.  I have set up the gateway to
my board's built in LAN (eth1).  I used the redhat gui
based netwok setup program to configure the network.
The dns servers seem to be listed properly in
etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/resolv.conf

Could the firewall have put something in the config
files that is filtering all packets? (just a WAG)

I know that I am very green, and in way over my head.
I am enjoying the learning process, but my wife is not
thrilled that broadband is down.

Thanks,

Andrew Grimmke
to respond to the above address remove everything to
the left of "grimmke"