[ale] open source wars at DOD

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at attbi.com
Fri May 24 13:39:33 EDT 2002

Joe, I've been wondering the same thing.  I think the concept (that is,
lack of justifiability of closed-source) is strongest at the OS level
and ramps down the further you go in the user app dimension.  I think
it's reasonable to have very specific user apps remain closed-source and
for-pay, but I still feel that even in those cases, users or using
organizations should have an option to request source code for a small
fee and under obvious disclosure restrictions in order for said users to
fix bugs or change/add functionality.  I know that if I've bought
something important and I smack into a problem, I really don't
necessarily want to wait for the mfr to take care of it "manana" in the
next version.

I think that for things that are really depended on for nat'l security,
life/limb, etc. it's important to have *auditable code*.  Closed-source
code is not auditable.  I know that when I worked for the Air Force, we
actually bought the VMS source on microfiche and we actually had a guy
who dug into it to chase down a bug in the OS.

More to the point, though, it's important to know that your software
isn't doing anything more than you know it's doing (e.g., KaZaa).

- Jeff