[ale] Learning Perl

Fletch fletch at phydeaux.org
Fri May 24 09:25:18 EDT 2002

    esoteric> I believe we've been through this one before, but I
    esoteric> recommend the Oreilly camel book, learning perl.

        ITYM `llama book'.  The camel is _Programming Perl_.
</pedantic>

        The later is more of a language reference, so unless you've
got a couple of languages under your belt (preferably one of which is
in perl's family tree (C, shell, awk, sed)) it may not be the best
resource for picking up the language.  If you're a non-programmer,
_Beginning Perl_ by Simon Cozens may be a better starting place.

        I'd already forwareded this to the original querent, but this
URL has several good recommendations on how to start perl:

http://www.speech.cs.cmu.edu/~sburke/pub/perl.html

770 933-0600 x211(w)  |  scary questions." -- Jules                =(___)=
770 294-0820 (m)      |                                               U