[ale] Re: Your scripting class

David S. Jackson deepbsd at earthlink.net
Thu May 23 23:28:11 EDT 2002

On Thu, May 23, 2002 at 05:49:14PM -0400 Greg <runman at telocity.com> wrote:
> Hello David:
>
> 	I just finished taking the Shell Scripting class for my CUA at
> 	KSU's Continuing Education Center and had a blast.  Really
> 	enjoyed it.

Cool.  This looks like an interesting program.

> If you want I would be happy to help in any way possible.

You bet.  More heads are far better than one!

> Some things that the program at KSU found out the hard way:
>
> 	1.  Basic programming needs to be known by students before shell
> 	scripting can be taught in any depth.

Yeah, I guess I'd better say that at the outset...although shell isn't
too bad of a "first language."  I guess it's not really a language
though.

> 	2.  The second iteration of classes was 6 hours more than the
> 	first and the third iteration will be 6-8 hours more than the
> 	second iteration.  Apparently there is a lot to shell scripting!

That *does* sound like an interesting class!

> 	3. There is some difference between ksh and other shells.

Seems like there are the csh style and the bourne style shells.  Ksh is
a bourne, right?  I've never gotten into it myself.  Just bash and a
little tcsh.

> 	If you want some good titles of books on shell scripting than I
> 	can send you the one that KSU gave us and another title that
> 	explains a whole lot.

Sounds great, fire away!  I've been using _Learning the Bash Shell_ by
Newham and Rosenblatt for years.  I'm sure there are better ones.  The
Ellie Quigley book looks interesting...

> 	The continuing education building has classrooms that will show
> 	the class what is on the instructor's pc - does the present
> 	meeting facility have this capability ??

Good question.   I think so, but someone else should answer this.

> 	Good luck and I think that your outline is really quite a good
> 	one.

Thanks!

David S. Jackson                        dsj at dsj.net