[ale] guickie presentations---ALE NWers

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Wed May 22 20:07:46 EDT 2002

Kevin Krumwiede wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-05-22 at 14:07, David S. Jackson wrote:
>
>>One nice thing for a shell tutorial might be for people to cough up
>>their favorite functions on a separate thread on this list.  We could,
>>say, post our .bashrc's or .profile's or whereever we like to keep our
>>functions, aliases, and variables.  I'll include mine for old time sake.
>>

> How about a $PS1 showoff contest? :o)
>
> PS1='\033[1;32m\u@\h\033[0m:\033[1;34m$PWD\033[0m\n$?:\$ '

I like the color.  Mine is sans color, but a bit more involved:

userid at machine (time of day which is updated after return) current
working directory relative to the home directory

User id is rev vid as well as the machine name.  The @ is normal vid  I
like the dir with the relative part so when it's 'shl'  I know I'm in
/home/esoteric/shl

Looks like this:

esoteric at denali (8:05:59) shl >

Can get a bit long though. :)

When I su to root, it's

root at denali (8:05:59) /home/esoteric/shl >

Now, it's not that long, but I've since removed the time of day part,
since xdaliclock is so cool.  It's nice to know when you've su'ed to
root and left it that way in an xterm.

It's ksh though, don't believe it will work in bash.  I do like your
colors though.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net