[ale] robots

Pete Hardie pete.hardie at dvsg.sciatl.com
Wed May 22 16:38:43 EDT 2002

Jeff Hubbs wrote:

> Depending on how the blades are shaped, I think it could be designed
> such that you would have to try really hard to get a finger caught,
> i.e., pick it up, jam a finger into the cutter, and wait a few seconds.

I just remember that Cabbage Patch doll that was supposed to 'eat' plastic
food, and it turned out to be possible to get a finger caught in the
mechanism.

> Jam correction would be very important because, whereas I think it is
> reasonable that you should clear 1/2"- to 1"-thick branches out of your
> yard by hand, I don't think it's reasonable to take that down to the
> twig level.  My intuition tells me that a little twig would go into the
> cutter just like grass would but would be too tough for the moving blade
> to get through.  If the blade is a turning blade like I described
> earlier, its motion could be easily detected and its motor could be made
> to reverse for 1/2-1 rev.  The blades could be shaped such that when the
> rotation is reversed, anything that's due to get cut will just get
> ejected.  Follow that up with a bit of a maneuver to back away from the
> offending object and resume operation and you have some robustness
> there.

Actually, getting the twigs out sounds like a great task for another bot -
with a much simpler design, since it needs only rake and area, and have a
'home base' to rake the debris to.

--
Pete Hardie                   |   Goalie, DVSG Dart Team
    posting from, but not     |

     - - - - - - -  Appended by Scientific-Atlanta, Inc.  - - - - - - -
This e-mail and any attachments may contain information which is confidential, proprietary, privileged or otherwise protected by law. The information is solely intended for the named addressee (or a person responsible for delivering it to the addressee). If you are not the intended recipient of this message, you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy or disseminate this message or any part of it. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete it from your computer.