[ale] Topic for next ALE NW meeting June 16th

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Wed May 22 16:27:35 EDT 2002

Note, for those of you who have offered to do a tutorial on other
topics, don't worry, I've got your offer in the 'presentation' folder.
I think Dow's got a good point here in doing a shell tutorial at this
time.  We've had other folks offer to do presentations on ssh, apache,
dvd burning, sendmail, mailman, ssh.

Dow Hurst wrote:
> First, I will bring my laptop with SuSE 8.0 on it next meeting for those
> interested.  We also need to make sure everyone know the President and
> officers of the new LUG at KSU.

Are they up to taking on more of a presence in the meetings?

> Next, we have had requests for a tutorial on "What the hell is a shell?!!"
>
> I'd be happy to talk about that but I think my work schedule will
> prevent me from doing research on it.  It would be better if someone who
> really knew shells could do the tutorial.  We have several people
> attending who really are very new to Linux.  So this is what I would
> like us to do:

Bob's offered to do a tcsh tutorial, but I'd suspect we need a bash
tutorial for the new folks.  Wouldn't hurt the elders either. :)  I'm a
ksh'er myself, any bash'ers out there would would like to do a mini bash
howto at the June meeting?

> Have a 5-10 minute introduction of LUG at KSU.

I like it.

> Have a 30 minute tutorial on shell usage in Linux from the basics of how
> you use it to what you use it for.

Any takers?

> Have a 30 minute open discussion (moderated) on current install problems
> or questions on Linux usage.

I like it, maybe Dwayne can share his dual boot issues.

> Have a 30 minute demonstration of the usual stuff done to a new Linux
> machine to get it ready for normal use after an initial install.  A
> handout checklist would be great for people to take home.

Again, any takers???

> Have the usual hangon'til midnight discussions until you can't stand it
> or your significant other calls.

You know I'm always game there.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net