[ale] robots

Joseph A Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Wed May 22 14:46:19 EDT 2002

Pete Hardie wrote:

> Jeff Hubbs wrote:
> >
> > Who cares?  Certainly they don't - and as long as my bots have legs that
> > are too strong for the blades to cut and some means of detecting and
> > correcting a blade jam (sense blade motion; reverse blade motion if
> > blade is stuck), what do I care if they bump into each other?
> >
> > > Or as you discussed having real dumb
> > > avoidance/collision behavior.
> >
> >   My mowbots can be safely investigated,
> > sniffed at, and even peed on by cats, dogs, and kids.
>
> I'm curious about something here - I may have missed some of the discussion -
> but it seems to me that the issue of bot collision and kidproofing you describe
> seem to contradict each other - the bots are tough enough to not be harmed by
> a leg getting into the cutter, but the cutter is not going to cut the nose off
> a curious dog?

Presumably if the cutters cut slowly enough, the curious
critters will have time to get out of their grip before
any serious damage is done. And a minor nip might
discourage further investigation.

Still, I think the blade-jam-detection-and-reverse
plan might be better.

-- Joe
   Looking for a new .sig.