[ale] robots

Byron A Jeff byron at cc.gatech.edu
Tue May 21 13:47:13 EDT 2002

> Is anyone interested in starting a Robot club or should we just go the =
> Atlanta Robot club meetings?

Either. Both. Neither. Doesn't matter.

The problem with robotics is that is multifaceted and multidisciplinary.
Mix computer scientist, electrical and mechanical engineering, machinist,
and a dash of behavioral psychology, and you're getting close. The 1st
and foremost problem is that most tend to focus on what they know. I've learned
to do exactly the opposite. Currently I have no interest in microcontroller
based control systems. I know them well enough that if I ever get to that
point that it'll be much simpler than my current problems. Here are some of
the issues I have on the table with my current project: a useful robotic
lawnmower:

* Mechanical. How to generate enough torque with the drive wheels to get
a halfway decent speed? How to set up the center of gravity so that the beast
doesn't tip over? How to keep cut grass out of the cutting motor? How to
develop a suspension system that will keep the cutting head relatively level
with a rolling slope? How to secure the motor to the axle (this is the
worst!)

* Power. I finally realize why power mowers have oversized engines. How do I
power the beast for a reasonable amount of time when the stall current of
all the motors is close to 40 amps? I finally settled on using a gas lawnmower
engine powering a car alternator, a mobile, cheap generator. What about
power electronics to turn the wheels forwards, backwards, and off so that
the beast can actually move in a straight line? Most importantly where can
I get some change to get a working lawnmower engine that will never ever
cut grass directly.

* Sensors: Grass? No grass? All the grass cut? dog/cat? teenager (the worst!)?
Where am I? Where's home? wheel slipping?

* Safety: Teenagers (the worst!)? theft? tipover?

And the lists go on and on for any non toy robotics project.

As for clubs, I find I work best in virtualized environments. Notice you
rarely see me at an ALE meeting. But I'm reasonably active on the list. I've
been meaning to get to ARC meeting for a year or so now. Of course my
best meeting time would be weekday breakfast at the Shoney's on a day that
I'm not teaching. But I find that doesn't work for most folks. ;-)

I fancy myself as a pratical roboticist, building autonomous machines whose
purpose is to extend the home automation paradigm. Cut grass, vacuum (which
the ARC also endorses with their annual competition), wash clothes, etc.

Just some thoughts.

BAJ