[ale] IT moving offshore

bob.evans at bankofamerica.com bob.evans at bankofamerica.com
Tue May 21 04:08:24 EDT 2002

I was the programmer interviewed for that article. As is often the case,
they got the facts wrong, but the bigger story is that IT is being offshored
at a growing rate. The IT management for BofA had to bless the deal outlined
in the article, and they came back from India with thumbs up. They even
decided to utilize Indian consulting companies within the bank's IT
structure.
I don't know  what a good answer is to this growing problem. I never really
got interested in the issue until it affected me personally. One of the
resources I've found is the Programmers Guild.
http://www.programmersguild.org
One reason IT is an easy target for offshoring is the fact that programmers
have no national organization, like architects, lawyers, doctors, or
engineers. I'm not sure the Programmers Guild is the answer, but it is a
start.

Bob Evans

10 days away from unemployment...

Transam <transam at cavu.com> on 05/21/2002 03:56:32 AM