[ale] Two talking stories

Thompson Freeman tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Mon May 20 18:42:52 EDT 2002

Many have probably already seen this, but I find the idea
interesting. (Background: Peru is considering mandating the use of
open/free software for all government functions (not private, business, or
academic, only _government_ functions) whenever appropriate open/free
software is available.)

http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2002-05-20-006-26-IN-LF-PB

On another note, and I've misplaced the URL at the moment so I will
reply to myself in a little while, Jim Allchin of Microsoft apparently has
testified in court that some API's and protocols are so insecure that they
can not be openly published without compromising DOD and other federal
TLAs security. The Fed's claim to be deeply concerned about security, yet
apparently they may be wide open to a persistant terrorist. I suspect that
I should be concerned...

The harder I work, the luckier I get.
                    Lee Iacocca
Thompson Freeman          tfreeman at intel.digichem.net