[ale] Summer Linux job in Atlanta?

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at attbi.com
Mon May 20 15:40:05 EDT 2002

On Mon, 2002-05-20 at 12:49, Jeffrey Forman wrote:
> Ale Subscribers,
>
> My name is Jeffrey Forman, I am currently a junior at the University of
> Texas in Austin. I am coming to Atlanta for the summer looking for a
> job, and was wondering if any of you had some linux contacts in the
> area. I consider myself an intermediate linux user, able to install,
> configure, and support both desktop and backend linux installations.
> Possibly system or network administration jobs, or frankly anything
> computer related, part time (20-30 hours/week) in any linux related
> field. If any of you have contacts or possible openings, please feel
> free to email me. My available dates are roughly June 3rd to August 8th.
> Thanks!
> Jeffrey Forman

Jeffrey -

I'm not sure what would drive you to come to Atlanta to look for an IT
job.  This town has been in the grips of an IT recession for about a
year now and while the worst may be over (I'm not optimistic enough to
be any more definite), it's still quite bad.  I imagine that Austin is
bad too, what with Dell bleeding from every orifice, but Atlanta isn't a
pretty sight.

This place is huge.  If you want to live anywhere near where you're
likely to work, your cost of living is going to be astonishingly high.
You can expect to need a car with good insurance, good tires, and good
brakes; Atlanta is very cruel to the carless, and the carful don't fare
much better.

I assume you're already working the Monster/ComputerJobs route.  You can
try usajobs.opm.gov but summer's almost here and the Government is real
slow.  I wish you the best of luck, but you and tens if not hundreds of
thousands of other IT people at all levels of experience are going all
over town looking for jobs.

- Jeff