[ale] irq conflict?

Calvin Harrigan charrig at earthlink.net
Sun May 19 11:10:39 EDT 2002

On Sat, 2002-05-18 at 19:12, David S. Jackson wrote:
> On Sat, May 18, 2002 at 12:43:30PM -0500 Calvin Harrigan <charrig at earthlink.net> wrote:
> > which controller are isa, which ones PCI.
>
> The PCI cards are the 2940uw scsi adapter, the usb controller, and the
> video card.

You might want to try changing these around a bit.  Try to get the right
configuration.  Goofy, but does solve a lot of problems.

> The ISA slots are the sb16 card, and the 3c509b NIC.  There are two ISA

> slots left, but I figure the one next to the last PCI slot cannot be
> used, since it shares an irq with that slot, right?

You are thinking of the AGP-PCI relationship.  ISA and PCI don't have
the same.  ISAs, at least the 16 bit slots can use any irq.  PCI must
map it's irq line to one of the irq, it's these irq lines that are
shared with the AGP bus.  irqs A-D in PCI lingo.

Put the ISA sound card at IRQ 5, and the nic at 9 and try to jugle the
other cards until it works.  I'm only suggesting these irqs because they
are common for the type of card, could be completely wrong.

Calvin...