[ale] hwclock hangs

Jonathan Gardner jgardn at alumni.washington.edu
Tue May 14 20:21:40 EDT 2002

I have scratched a hole in my head with this one.

I have an ASUS A7V133. I have been running SuSE 7.1 since it first came
out. Yesterday, I went and bought SuSE 8.0. I go to install it, and I
fiddled with the partitions to get it the way I liked it, but I made a
mistake and got /var and /usr confused and the installation was screwed.
No worry, I have a backup of my home directory, so nothing important was
lost.

I go to reinstall it, and during the probing, it hangs.

I look at another console to see what is happening - it turns on hwclock
is hanging. Sure enough, hwclock hangs whenever it is called.

I run hwclock -D and it says it hangs after it looks for a clock tick.
The clock tick never comes.

I can get aninstallation running, but every time it boots, init hangs on
the CMOS clock stage. Hitting CTRL-C will get it to continue. And it
doesn't continue quite the way I would like it to.

I've tried installing older kernels, but the problem persists. Which
makes me think it is something to do with my motherboard. Do you think
the SuSE 8.0 probing is setting something off and turning off the clock
or something? How can I tell? How can I prevent it from happening?

Someone suggested I replace the battery. Replacing the battery helped
for a few times, but then it started hanging again. Of course, it was an
old battery, but it wasn't that old. I'm going to go get a newer battery
unless I can think of something else.

Any suggestions?

Jonathan