[ale] Printer margin offsets?

Fulton Green ale at FultonGreen.com
Tue May 14 08:16:24 EDT 2002

This question may have been asked previously, but all that was *before* I
broke out my printer. <grin/>

I'm using a cheapo (as in the ink cartridge probably costs more than the
printer itself) Canon BJ-200e. This printer has driver support thanks to the
Ghostscript-based Omni subsystem. I'm currently using the GNOME environment,
in which apps typically use LPRng to spool.

What I'm seeing ... both the Printconf test page and any output I try from
AbiWord seem to be mispositioned by the time they make it to printer ink.
Specifically, it's as if the PostScript output (which I've confirmed to be
correct) winds up getting "shoved" up and to the right relative to the
paper, creating a clipping effect at the top and right as well as leaving
extra whitespace on the left and bottom of the paper.

So ... does anyone out there know if it's possible to tweak the printer
margins strictly through configuration (i.e., not have to change source
code)? If so, what have your experiences been? TIA.