[ale] A call to Audit M$...

Jonathan Rickman jonathan at xcorps.net
Sat May 11 18:57:42 EDT 2002

On Fri, 10 May 2002, phrostie wrote:

> you know i was thinking the same thing today.
> i'd be happy with more mainstream press coverage of the MS/BSA  "audits".
> no one beleaves me that this stuff is going on.

I honestly don't understand why people don't believe you. The letters are
VERY widespread. I've had local business owners call me about them. I'm
talking SMALL business owners!!! A small engine repair shop that employs
3, a hair salon that employs 6, and an insurance agency that employs an
astounding 2...yes 2...people. My advice to them was very simple, trash
the letter. If MS wants to inventory their software, they can get a
warrant, provided they have probable cause...which they don't. All three
of the places are now considering Linux with Open Office for their next PC
upgrades. Microsoft is doing us a favor by pulling these stunts.

On another note, several people have pointed out that MS is not the only
company using these strongarm tactics, but if anyone thinks this BSA (I
wont divulge my thoughts on what the acronym stands for) crap isn't
primarily driven by Redmond...they need a serious reality check.

--
Jonathan Rickman
X Corps Security