[ale] Ouch, dang it

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Thu May 9 20:09:15 EDT 2002

Swantje Willms wrote:
 > Darn, why was the meeting never announced on the list? I could have made
 > it... Isn't this one of the purposes of the list?
 >
 > Swantje

There's been some recent discussion regarding this issue on the
ale-admin list.  The web site says that the announcements go to the list
as well as the announce list, so you don't need to subscribe to both.
This is not what actually happens, as the logic is, if you want the
announcements, subscribe to the announcement list, otherwise, why have
an announcement list to start with?

So, I guess a decision needs to be made, and I'm not sure how that would
be done.  How is this normally done in the ALE? Take a poll?  As I see
it, here are the two trains of thought:

1.  There is an announce list which is used to announce meetings.  There
is a group list for the ALE discussions.  Subscribe to both if you want
both, otherwise, why have two different lists.  There are folks who
would only want to receive the announcements.  There are folks who might
be 'lost in Tokyo' and therefore don't want the announcements because
there's no way they'll make the meeting.  (my example, Keith may well
want to receive the announcements..)

2. Announcements go to both the announce list and the discussion list,
because it's assumed that if you're on the ALE list, you would also like
to know about the meetings.  There are some folks who would like to only
received the announcements, hence subscribe to it if this fits your needs.

So which is the right way?  Do we vote?  Do we vote on whether we should
vote???

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net