[ale] Make

Joseph A Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Thu May 9 13:42:50 EDT 2002

John Mills wrote:

> ALErs -
>
> On Thu, 9 May 2002, Joseph A Knapka wrote:
>
> > > tom hawks wrote:
> > > I have a question, I am using my freinds Redhat 6.2 and I want to
> > > update his kernel. When I type make menuconfig or xconfig, I get:
>
> > > make: ***No rule to make target 'menuconfig'. Stop.
>
> > You must (a) unpack the kernel source and (b) cd into
> > the top-level kernel source directory, before attempting
> > "make menuconfig". So:
> >
> > > cd /usr/src
> > # Save the existing kernel sources, if any...
> > > mv linux linux.old
> > # Unpack new sources; this will create the ./linux dir.
>
> In my examples it would create: ./linux-2.4.18/...

This is apparently a recent change; it used to be
that kernel archives always unpacked into ./linux,
and tough cookies if you forgot to move your
old kernel tree out of the way. I've been bitten
by that several times.

> > > tar xzvf linux-2.4.18.tgz
>
> # ln -s /usr/src/linux-2.4.18 ./linux
>
> And possibly (depending on how it was linked before):
>
> # cd /usr/include
> # ln -s /usr/src/linux/include ./include

This is not necessary if you're only configuring
and building a kernel; kernel code does not attempt
to #include anything outside of the kernel tree.
The /usr/include links are only required in order
to build userland applications which depend on the
kernel headers. There should be very, very few of
those; any code which does the sane thing and uses
Glibc to access system calls, will not need the
kernel headers. Some Linux-specific utilties,
however, do.

Cheers,

-- Joe
    Any OS distinguishable from Windows is not sufficiently broken.