[ale] Sendmail and domain

Jonathan Rickman jonathan at xcorps.net
Thu May 9 12:19:19 EDT 2002

On 9 May 2002, cfowler wrote:

> Default that comes with RH 7.2 8.11.6

Ok. I'll post this to the list so it get's archived...in case anyone needs
it in the future.

In your /etc/mail directory (or wherever your config files are), you
should see this:

jonathan at abacus:/etc/mail$ ls
access     aliases     aliases.new     genericstable     helpfile
sendmail.cf.09550820082001  sendmail.cw
access.db  aliases.db  genericsdomain  genericstable.db  sendmail.cf
sendmail.cf.orig            statistics
jonathan at abacus:/etc/mail$

...or something to that effect. The access file determines who will have
relay access through the machine. In your case it will probably be just
the local host. Therefore you'll need to add this statement: 127.0.0.1
RELAY

The aliases file is optional, and self explanatory. Mine looks like this:

#
#       @(#)aliases     8.2 (Berkeley) 3/5/94
#
#  Aliases in this file will NOT be expanded in the header from
#  Mail, but WILL be visible over networks or from /bin/mail.
#
#       >>>>>>>>>>      The program "newaliases" must be run after
#       >> NOTE >>      this file is updated for any changes to
#       >>>>>>>>>>      show through to sendmail.
#

# Basic system aliases -- these MUST be present.
MAILER-DAEMON:  postmaster
postmaster:     root

# General redirections for pseudo accounts.
bin:            root
daemon:         root
games:          root
ingres:         root
nobody:         root
system:         root
toor:           root
uucp:           root

# Well-known aliases.
manager:        root
dumper:         root
webmaster:      root
abuse:          root

# trap decode to catch security attacks
decode:         root

The genericstable file is used to generate the genericstable.db on
startup. This is what maps the usernames to user at domain name. The first
line in mine is: jonathan	jonathan at xcorps.net

The genericsdomain file is...well honestly I can't remember what the heck
it is, but I put my hostname (without domain) in there at some point...so
do that.

If that doesn't take care of it, I've got a perl script somewhere around
here that configures sendmail/fetchmail automagically. You can just dump
the fetchmail config and use the sendmail config.

--
Jonathan Rickman
X Corps Security