[ale] masking apache

Jonathan Rickman jonathan at xcorps.net
Thu May 9 10:54:59 EDT 2002

On Wed, 8 May 2002, John Wells wrote:

> I have a server that I want to mask.  In other words, you can connect to the
> ssl port and get basic server info, like what type of server, what type of
> os, what version of mod_ssl, etc.
>
> I'd like to have the server identify itself as a win box running IIS.  I
> know it can be done, but don't really know what it's called or where to find
> info.
>
> Could someone point me in the right direction?

There are a couple of things you could do...

The information can be changed by using the ServerTokens directive
in the httpd.conf file. ServerTokens takes the following parameters:
Minimal, ProductOnly, OS, and Full. The ServerTokens directive defaults to
Full, which sends the version of Apache, the operating system, and loaded
modules. Minimal will only return the version of Apache. Product will only
send that it is Apache. OS will send the version of Apache and the
operating system that it is running on.

I believe you can change it in release.h as well, which is probably what
you're looking for. I don't have the source handy to look at though. I'd
recommend sticking with Apache though. No need to paint a big bullseye on
your server, unless you're setting up a honeypot. If that's the case, why
not just use IIS?

--
Jonathan Rickman
X Corps Security