[ale] vmware and W2K v. WXP

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at attbi.com
Wed May 8 19:43:23 EDT 2002

Joseph A Knapka wrote:

> Jeff Hubbs wrote:
>

>>I'm concerned about the possibility that Windows app developers aren't
>>able to get their apps to work adequately without somehow getting into
>>some kind of deal with MS to get full access to API docs - a deal, of
>>course, that would be on MS' terms.
>>

> The DOJ settlement attempts to address this, but has loopholes
> you could fly the Death Star through. M$ essentially gets to
> do whatever it wants.
>
> -- Joe

As I recall, this was an issue I encountered some time ago in the
context of MS software vs. non-MS software (e.g., SQL Server vs. Sybase)
and also regarding the difficulties on running MS apps (e.g., Office)
under Wine - that MS was using undocumented API calls or undocumented
features of documented calls.  Can't do that in OSS-land...

- Jeff