[ale] Dell and Linux

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Tue May 7 10:48:24 EDT 2002

keith frost wrote:
> many years ago i'd bought a couple of used dells from
> a computer surplus store.  i can't recall the exact
> problem but it was related to everything being
> integrated into the mother board.  video card i think.
>
> anyway, i emailed Dell and explained that not only was
> i trying to install linux but that it was a used
> machine(second hand).  they treated me like a new
> customer, they had people that knew linux and helped
> me get thru my install.

It's changed quite a bit.  They won't even talk to you unless you've got
the number off the box (I don't recall what they call it)  Anyway, mine
is a laptop and it's running and the number is of course, on the bottom
of the laptop.

There web site takes the Microsoft approach.  You register your box and
then when/if you return to the support web site, it assumes you're
looking for info on that registered box.  If you enter search criteria
does the search based on that box, so even if you enter info for a dell
device (monitor, laptop, whatever) it returns not found if it's not
designated for the registered device.

I actually got to talk to someone regarding my laptop floppy which is an
ls120 device.  Wouldn't entertain any Linux questions at all.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net