[ale] Survey

Michael D. Hirsch mdhirsch at mail.com
Tue May 7 09:40:56 EDT 2002

cfowler writes:

 > I've been trying out a few Java IDE's and need to stick to one.  I
 > thought I'd ask those where who program in this Language which one will
 > give me the fast development.  I'm also looking for GUI editing
 > capablities.

I'm bullish on idea from intellij (www.intellij.com).  It has all the
usual IDE stuff, but it also has built-in refactoring tools, ant
support, CVS support, and Junit support.  My only complaint is that
it is still a little slow/buggy under Linux.  The next version is
supposed to support jdk 1.4 and that should fix the speed issues, at
least.  It also costs about $500.

I'm currently experimenting with eclipse (www.eclipse.org).  This is
IBM's open source IDE.  I think it is going to be the basis of
visualAge, kinda like mozilla and netscape.  It also has built-in
refactoring tools, ant support, CVS support, and Junit support, but I
haven't played with it enough to tell how the levels of support compare.

When you say "GUI editing" do you mean drag-n-drop UI design, or
something else.  I don't actually know if either of these do that,
cause I've never had the need of that kinda thing.

--Michael