[ale] Survey

jb at sourceillustrated.com jb at sourceillustrated.com
Tue May 7 04:24:52 EDT 2002

Personally, I use jedit (www.jedit.org) and love it.  It has a plugin for
virtually everything you need, and plugin download/installation is handled
completely from the plugin control panel.

Among some of the nicer features:
syntax highlighting
UML class browser and nav tool
auto load/save to/from FTP
integration with JSwat debugging tool
folding
built-in compiler
Beanshell scripting
Jython interpreter

Check it out.  It's worth it.

John

Full feature list from web site:

    * Comprehensive online help
    * Unlimited undo/redo
    * Copy and paste with an unlimited number of clipboards (known as
"registers")
    * Rich set of keyboard commands for manipulating entire words, lines and
paragraphs at a time
    * "Markers" for remembering positions in files to return to later
    * Marker locations are saved across editing sessions
    * Any number of editor windows may be open, each window may be split
into several areas, each area can view a different file. Alternatively,
different locations in one file can be viewed in more than one area
    * Rectangular selection
    * Multiple selection (sometimes known as "discontinuous" or "additive"
selection) for manipulating several chunks of text at once
* Word wrap

Syntax Highlighting

jEdit supports syntax highlighting for more than 70 file types:
ActionScript Ada 95 ASP Assembly AWK B formal method Batch
BBj BCEL BeanShell BibTeX C C++ C#
COBOL ColdFusion CSS DSSSL Eiffel Haskell HTML
IDL Inform Informix 4GL INI Java JavaScript JHTML
JMK JSP Lisp Makefile ML Modula-3 NetRexx
Objective C ObjectRexx Occam Omnimark Pascal Patch Perl
PHP PL-SQL PostScript Povray Progress 4GL Prolog Properties
PV-WAVE Python REBOL RelationalView RPM spec Ruby SGML
Shell Script SHTML Smalltalk SQR TCL TeX Texinfo
Transact-SQL VBScript Velocity Verilog VHDL Visual Foxpro XML
XSL
Source Code Editing

    * Intelligent bracket matching skips quoted literals and comments
    * Auto indent
    * Commands for shifting the indent left and right
    * Commands for commenting out code
    * Soft tabs option
    * Abbreviations
* Folding, with two fold modes: indent-based, and explicit (where the buffer
is parsed for "{{{" and "}}}")

Search and Replace

    * Both literal and regular expression search and replace supported
    * Multiple file search and replace; search in either the current file,
all open files, or all files in a directory
    * "HyperSearch" option to show all found matches in a list
    * Reverse search supported
    * Incremental search supported
* Option to replace occurrences of a regular expression with the return
value of a BeanShell script. As far as I know, no other text editor offers
comparable functionality!

File Management

    * Any number of files can be opened at once
    * Automatic compression and decompression of GZipped (.gz) files
    * Any character encoding supported by Java can be used to load and save
files
    * Multi-threaded I/O system supports pluggable "virtual file systems"
for listing directories and loading files:
          o FTP plugin adds support for loading and saving files on FTP
          servers    o Archive plugin adds read-only support for loading files from ZIP and
TAR archives
    * Custom file system browser component used in open and save dialog boxes
* Files can be deleted and renamed, and new directories can be created from
the file system browser

Customization

    * Syntax highlighting modes are defined in XML files and new ones are
very easy to write
    * Many editor settings can be set on a global, per-mode, or per-file
    basis    * Fully customizable keyboard shortcuts
    * Fully customizable tool bar and right-click context menu
    * Macros to automate complex editing tasks can be written in the
BeanShell scripting language
* Macros can be recorded from user actions

Extensibility

    * Plugins can turn jEdit into a full-fledged IDE, with compiler, code
completion, context-sensitive help, debugging, visual diff, and much more
    * "Plugin manager" feature downloads and installs plugins from within
    jEdit    * More than 50 plugins are already available that add a variety of
features to jEdit
* Plugin windows can either be shown as separate, top-level frames, or as
"docked windows" inside the jEdit editor window