[ale] Probs Burning CD comp from MP3 files

aaron aaron at pd.org
Tue May 7 01:59:08 EDT 2002

This is kind of timely since a CD burning thread just popped up...
...I recently had a CD burning project that gave me some fits and I
thought it might be helpful for others if I share the problem description
and the solution.

---
The short version is that:
  The popular <cdrecord> burning program can (apparently) have problems
correctly writing SOME audio files that have been processed into MP3
format. I found that <cdrdao> (used with the <arson> front end in this
case) did not have any problems correctly burning the same files to CD
(at least not with my particular burner).

---
The verbose and detailed version is:
   I added a cheap Mitsumi [48x5TE] CD burner to my RH 7.2 Linux system
several months ago and have used it successfully in building several
audio CD compilations from my collection. After exploring a number of GNU
burn software options I decided on X-CD-Roast,  a front end for <mkisofs>
and <cdrecord>, as my preferred GUI for burning. [A BTW that X-CD-Roast
was recently updated to version 0.98alpha10 in April, 02.]

This latest project seemed only a little different from my previous ones
as it involved burning a compilation CD for my daughter from some MP3
sources instead of my usual ripped WAV files. I just added one step to my
process by using <lame> to up-convert the MP3's to WAV files. Next, I
"normalized" the audio levels for all the cuts using a handy utility
called <normalize> (of course). Finally, I did some simple clean up
editing on some of the files and added a hidden "cookie" song to the
final cut using <audacity> and/or <wavesurfer>.

All seemed fine with my tested and well tuned WAV files (heh, heh) until
I went to burn them onto CD. X-CD-Roast went through its usual motions
and did not report any errors, but on playing back the finished product I
found that several of the selections had been clipped off at the head,
randomly loosing between 1/2 to 3 seconds at the front.

Parents will understand well when I reiterate that I was making this CD
for my teenager... so I proceded to burn several more drink coasters
trying to find and fix the problems. The attempts included editing all
the WAV files for consistent front end silent space (force an update of
the wav header?),  converting all the files to RAW and then back to WAV
(totally re-create the wav header?) and burning the disks with different
front end packages. To my frustration the up-cut problems remained in all
cases, and it was consistently the SAME source file selections that got
chopped off in the write process!  I finally decided to change the burner
back-end software: <cdrecord> may be the most common and popular CD burn
package for Linux, and it had indeed worked FINE for me burning ripped
wav files to CD in the past, but in this case it was becoming the most
likely culprit.

Soo...
I switched to <cdrdao> (cd record - disk at once) as the back end, chose
<arson> as the front end (to build a required and compatible Table Of
Contents TOC file from my source directory) and tried again. The up-cut
problem went away... completely... <cdrdao> gave me a perfect CD from
files originating as MP3. According to the docs, <arson> will even let me
skip the up-covert process next time and have <cdrdao> burn an audio CD
directly from a list of MP3 files.

Hope that was helpful and informative!

peace
aaron