[ale] Routing question (newbie alert!!)

Joe Steele joe at madewell.com
Mon May 6 20:18:32 EDT 2002

On Monday, May 06, 2002 3:54 PM, Joseph A Knapka wrote:

> The DHCP stuff shouldn't matter, as DHCP is not an IP
> protocol (hosts participating in a DHCP dialog presumably
> don't yet have an IP address.) DHCP conversations travel
> in raw Ethernet frames without an IP header.

Umm... I don't think so.  From RFC 2131:

   DHCP uses UDP as its transport protocol.  DHCP messages from a client
   to a server are sent to the 'DHCP server' port (67), and DHCP
   messages from a server to a client are sent to the 'DHCP client' port
   (68). A server with multiple network address (e.g., a multi-homed
   host) MAY use any of its network addresses in outgoing DHCP messages.

   DHCP messages broadcast by a client prior to that client obtaining
   its IP address must have the source address field in the IP header
   set to 0.

You're probably confusing it with ARP.

--Joe