[ale] Two awesome essays on open source and copyright

Michael D. Hirsch mdhirsch at mail.com
Mon May 6 12:15:01 EDT 2002

There is a lawsuit just waiting to be filed.  One could charge the US
with being derelict in its duties in allowing important data to be
stored in unknown and undocumented formats.  As Dr Villanueva puts it,
the data the government stores *does*not*belong*to*the*government*, but
belongs to the citizens, the thus it is incumbent for the government
to store that data in such a way that it can be retrieved years hence.

Given that MS sometimes can't read its own old formats, where is the
guarantee that they will be able to read the current formats in the
future.

--Michael