[ale] Two awesome essays on open source and copyright

Michael D. Hirsch mdhirsch at mail.com
Mon May 6 11:44:59 EDT 2002

Jeff Hubbs writes:
 > Joseph A Knapka wrote:
 >
 > > Jeff Hubbs wrote:
 > >

 > >>Many of these same issues and thought processes seems to have gone
 > >>through the minds of the Peruvians.  Incredibly (to me, at least),
 > >>right-thinking people appear to hold sway in Peru.
 > >>

 > > Sho' 'nuf. And MicroShaft is terrified that this "viral"
 > > right-thinking will spread to the US, a "danger" that
 > > Dr. Nunez's letter makes all the more likely. His arguments
 > > are extremely powerful, and as far as I can see they
 > > simply *can't* be ignored by any government that professes
 > > to operate in the best interests of its citizens.
 > >
 > > Cheers,
 > >
 > > -- Joe
 >
 > Roger that!  It's amazing to me that this guy is putting the country's
 > big-picture interests first.  Same could be said of any country or business.

Well, I agree with one of the /. posts.  Money that the US Government
spends on MS software goes to citezens and constituents.  Money that
the Peruvian Government spends on MS software goes out of the
country.  So MS is inherently in a stronger position in the US.  The
question becomes how much influence can MS get the US to put on Peru.

--Michael